It's Will from East Sussex.

Swill1952xs

Hi,

I stumbled across this forum in an attempt to find out where I could get information on an Albion WD HD 23 S (FV11105) that I'm desperate to restore before it crumbles away completely.

I have been trying to find any literature on it, or information of its service history. The Albion Archive told me that it was the only one of this model they knew of, although I do have the front half of another 'S' that some moron cut in half and sold the axles for export. He should have had the same done to him.

Mine is a short wheelbase three way tipper, retrofitted with a diesel engine, supplied by L.W. Vass of Ampthill. The body is in poor condition as it was used in a quarry before I bought it and has extensive rusting. The cab is also in very poor condition now. With regard to its history; it still has its Army number plate on the rear which hopefully will make things a little easier. The number is 85 BL 14.

Here is a picture of the truck taken some years ago before it really started to deteriorate and a second picture of the truck now known as "Arfur" before the person bought it and cut it in half.

Sorry about the picture quality, the first is a scanned photo.

P.S. I also dream about Militants, Antars and Albion CX's:)

Albiontipped.jpg

ArfurAlbion.jpg

Edited by Swill1952xs
Additional information

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I stumbled across this forum in an attempt to find out where I could get information on an Albion WD HD 23 S (FV11105) that I'm desperate to restore before it crumbles away completely.

Hi Will,

A rare old truck, the last ones in service were the longer chassis RE Mobile Workshop versions. I worked on one whilst it was in service, possibly late 1970's. Huge petrol engine and very heavy steering, due to a large lathe at front end of the body.

Best of luck with it.

Hi Will, like it says in the ad, it's very rare and very ugly, just the sort of thing we like here!

Welcome to the forum and be sure to keep us posted on your progress with the restoration.

Thanks for the replies. Like many more of you; finding time to do the important things like restoring trucks, isn't easy. Before the restoration can start, I have to move it to a field next to where I work. At the moment it is a major task to get to where it is, and half the day is gone before anything gets done.

Fortunately "Arfur" should supply me with a lot of salvageable parts to make the restoration easier. "Arfur" has a later and more powerful diesel engine in it which will be transferred too. I recently tried to buy a long wheelbase petrol one from West Sussex. The cab on that one would have solved most of my restoration problems in one hit as it had been stored indoors for the last fifteen years and the cab looked almost perfect. It only had 6250 miles on the clock :shocked:

Where the hell I can get another body is another major problem. I may have to fit a standard tipper body to it or possibly a cargo body. Only time will tell.

Hello Will,

I think you were extremely fortunate to find this very interesting lorry. As you know, very few tippers of any kind survive into preservation all the obvious reasons. It would be nice if you could keep it as a tipper but perfectly understandable if you don't. Please keep us up to date as this project progresses.

I'm presently trying to acquire a polytunnel frame large enough to accommodate a lorry I'm restoring so that I can keep it undercover immediately outside my workshop. I'll post details when I've got this together.

Here's a Militant tipper for you to dream about.

sc00084117.jpg

wot o will, welcome to the forum, if your desparate to keep tipper body i know a man that builds and repairs agricultural trailers and hes worked on my k6 hes near heathfield e. sussex, pm me if you want to know more details

regards

I'm presently trying to acquire a polytunnel frame large enough to accommodate a lorry I'm restoring so that I can keep it undercover immediately outside my workshop.

Reminder to self - check under tarpaulin in the morning to make sure Constructor has not been replaced by a pile of cardboard boxes.....:nono:

Reminder to self - check under tarpaulin in the morning to make sure Constructor has not been replaced by a pile of cardboard boxes.....:nono:

If you only knew how long that papier mache decoy Scammell I placed under the tarpaulin in your yard has been there. It's months and months. I'm surprised it hasn't started sagging with all this rain. I can only say you're a very sound sleeper and I was amazed you didn't hear me winching your Constructor out of the yard.

PS. Any chance of you sending me the ignition key ?

Edited by 6 X 6

Hello Will,

I think you were extremely fortunate to find this very interesting lorry. As you know, very few tippers of any kind survive into preservation all the obvious reasons. It would be nice if you could keep it as a tipper but perfectly understandable if you don't. Please keep us up to date as this project progresses.

I'm presently trying to acquire a polytunnel frame large enough to accommodate a lorry I'm restoring so that I can keep it undercover immediately outside my workshop. I'll post details when I've got this together.

Here's a Militant tipper for you to dream about.

sc00084117.jpg

Many thanks for the picture of the Militant. I've never seen or heard of one with a tipper body on it before. The body on this one is identical to the one fitted to mine................cept for the er.....rust situation. Anyone got a magic wand??? :-D

Weve got faith in you Will, anything of a rare nature is always worth serious consideration one day she will look like this

Many thanks for this picture too. I'm glad I joined this forum, as already I've seen pictures of the Albion that I've never seen before. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I have little knowledge of military vehicles so there are all sorts of things, particularly brackets around the vehicle that intrigue me as to what their purpose would have been. My donor Albion has some strange brackets fitted to the back corners of the cab, which look like something slots in them at the bottom, and has a movable arm on the top socket to hold something in place.

Rifle and spade brackets are pretty obvious though. I imagine the others may be for oil and fuel cans. I have a great deal to learn.

Heavy transport has always interested me, and its sad to see the names I love all disappearing, thinking in particular of names like Scammell and Foden. I occasionally drive a Foden (3275) tanker which I absolutely love, in spite of its quirks like the strangely positioned clutch pedal. Bedford TM's, Scammell Crusaders, Pioneers, Explorers, 8 x 8 Fodens, Militant recovery trucks...........sorry, I'm drooling again. Still, at least I get to drive one of the last true British built ERF's each day. A P reg EC12 with a Perkins Eagle TX 340 (Sad the day the R.R. name disappeared from these engines), aaaaaaaand fitted with a real gearbox.....the good old reliable nine speed Fuller. :)

Good luck with that one mate. What a beast.....

welcome to the friendly forum. Enjoy the facilities, keep your feet off the furniture and do not touch my custard creams.

Huh.........it aint that friendly if you aren't going to share the custard creams. I wouldn't care if they were Jaffa cakes, cos I don't like them any way. :-D

Many thanks for the picture of the Militant. I've never seen or heard of one with a tipper body on it before.

There are a few other 'photos of Militants that you may find interesting on the A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery thread in the Transporters & Wreckers (All Nations) section of this forum.

OK Will, I think it is time for you to give us the "now" condition picture :cool2:

I'll try and get some in the next few weeks. I'm really sad that I have let it get so bad, but every year I've said I am going to get started on it this year, and it never happened. Now I've joined this forum I have little choice but to get on with it before I get "Labeled" as a dreamer not a doer.

Got to go now, got a 2:30 start tomorrow and need me beauty sleep. Catch ya later chaps ........:yay:

well welcome to the friendly forum

as you have guesed there are a few of us here in sussex so you are never to far from a hand if needed even if just to make tea

if you are near hailsham then sunday myself,leeenfield and a few more will be doing the parade with a couple of vehicles so come and say hello

dave